Creation《造物弄人(2009)》完整中英文对照剧本
- 格式:docx
- 大小:74.65 KB
- 文档页数:55
查尔斯·达尔文于1859年出版的《物种起源》
被誉为思想史上最伟大的个人著作
本片描述此书的问世过程
爸爸
Papa?
-给我讲故事吧 -好讲什么呢
- Tell me a story. - Alright. What about?
不知道什么都讲讲吧
I don't know. About everything.
什么都讲
Everything?
好吧
Very well, then.
造物弄人
在火焰之地火地岛
In tierra del fuego, land of fire...
在那个地处世界边缘的荒蛮之地
...A blighted and loveless country on the earth's furthest rim
住着一群粗鄙肮脏的野蛮人
Lives a community of the dirtiest, most vulgar,
他们的开化程度低得难以想象
Least civilised people you can possibly imagine.
他们几乎不♥穿♥衣服
They appeared almost entirely naked
长发及腰
With their hair all the way down to their bottoms.
他们从不洗脸或洗手即使是吃饭前也一样
They never washed their hands or their faces, even before dinner. 一天菲茨罗伊船长上岸去见他们
One day, Captain Fitzroy went ashore to meet them.
谢谢
Thank you.
不会很久了我来了头靠后一点
Not long now. I shall be with you presently. Head to me, please. 很好别动
Very good. Now, very still, please. No fidgeting.
千万别笑
And above all, no smiling.
-先生 -什么
- Excuse me, sir? - Hmm?
-这会疼吗 -不不会
- Will this hurt? - oh, no, no, no.
只是光而已
It is only a beam of light.
-爸爸 -嗯
- Papa? - Hmm?
光是怎样变成相片呢
How can light make a picture?
他们那块铜片
Well, they take a copper
上面有化学物质
plate and they prepare it with chemicals,
这些化学物质
And these chemicals are activated
被你脸上反射来的光激活
By the light that reflects back from your face,
所以哪里最亮
And so the silver
银就会粘在哪里懂了吧
sticks to the places where the light is brightest. Understand? 嗯
Yes.
-真抱歉 -谢谢
- Sorry. So sorry. - No, thank you.
-他上岸后见他们然后呢 -对
- Go on. He went ashore to meet them. - yes, that's right.
然后菲茨罗伊船长上岸去见火地岛土著
So, erm, Captain Fitzroy went ashore to interview the Fuegians. 开始
Now.
他给他们一些斧头棉布
He offered them some axe heads, some calico,
和好看的纽扣
And very pretty buttons.
总价值不过2先令罢了
Total value, probably two shillings.
这是你的了拿去吧
This is yours. You take it.
看看它发光对吧
Look how it... look how it glisters. See?
那他的条件是什么呢
And all he asked in return?
一些没人要的孩子
A few spare children.
你把那个小女孩给我
You give me el nina.
对火地岛土著来说孩子便宜纽扣珍贵
To the Fuegians, children were cheap and buttons were precious, 所以很快火地岛土著有了那些小玩意儿
So it wasn't long before the Fuegians had their trinkets
菲茨罗伊船长得到了三个孩子
And Captain Fitzroy had his three children.
他叫他们船忆
He named them Boat Memory...
纽扣和火地篮
...Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket.
过来吧脏兮兮的小要饭的
Come here, you dirty little beggar!
善良的船长让他们梳洗打扮好
The good captain had them washed and dressed,
他教他们吃饭的礼仪
And he taught them the proper table manners.
船忆因为天花死了但是那两个小点的
Boat Memory died of smallpox, but the two littlest ones,
他们祷告词和乘法表都学得很棒
They learned their prayers and their times-tables so excellently 所以国王和王后邀请了他们
That they were invited to meet the king and queen.
每个人都认为基♥督♥教价值观
Everyone agreed that good Christian values
驯服了最野蛮的心
had tamed the most savage of hearts.
国王赏给纽扣一个纯铜望远镜
The King gave Jemmy a genuine brass telescope
王后赐予火地篮她最好的
And the Queen gave Fuegia one
太阳帽让她永远留存
of her sunday best bonnets to keep for ever.
两年之后菲茨罗伊船长和我把他们带回家
Two years later, Captain Fitzroy and I took them home,
跟着一起的还有一位年轻的传教士
Accompanied by a young missionary,
大家相信他们以身作则
in the belief that, by example,
会让其他野蛮人也信仰上帝
They would bring their fellow savages to god.
你觉得后来发生了什么事呢
And what do you think happened?
没用
It didn't work.
对当然没用
That's right. Of course it didn't work!
-抓住他们傻瓜 -纽扣火地篮
- Go after them, you fool! Get them now. - Jemmy! Fuegia! 回来穿上衣服
Put your clothes back on! Come back!
这是一次完败
It was a complete and total failure.
别别别
No, no, no!
别动我不是说过吗
Quite still, didn't I say?
我们得重来
You shall have to do it all over again.
抱歉失礼了抱歉
So sorry. So badly behaved. So sorry.
达尔文先生
Mr Darwin, sir?
快点达尔文先生不然饭菜都要凉了
Come on, Mr Darwin, or your dinner will be spoiling.
夫人达尔文先生应该马上就来
Mr D will be in presently, ma'am. I imagine.
谢谢你戴维斯女士
Thank you, Mrs Davies.
爸爸又不舒服了吗
Is papa unwell again?
-他这几天都不太好 -不是弗兰齐
- He's always unwell these days. - he is not, Franky.
或许霍屯督人传染了什么给他
Maybe he caught something awful from the Hottentots. 布罗蒂奶妈说上帝很生他的气
Nanny Brodie said god was angry with him.
-布罗蒂没说过 -她说了
- Brodie said no such thing. - Yes, she did!
-晚上好 -晚上好爸爸
- Good evening. - Good evening, papa.
抱歉迟了
Sorry I'm so late.
例汤先生
Soup du jour, sir.
谢谢帕斯洛
Thank you, Parslow.
主啊赐福这个家庭以及他们所食
Lord god, bless this family and the food we eat.
-奉您的名祈愿阿门 -阿门
- We ask in thy name. Amen. - Amen.
我听说胡克先生明天要来
I hear Mr Hooker is coming tomorrow.
对是这样的
Yes. Yes, that's right.
他说过他来做什么吗
Did he say what it was about?
不清楚现在也不是谈论此事的时候
I'm not sure that now's the time to discuss it.
或许我们应该在你邀请他之前谈论一下
Perhaps the time to discuss it was before you invited him. 应该那样但他是不请自来
Well, quite possibly, but he... he invited himself.
抱歉
Sorry.
告诉戴维斯夫人很美味但是我的
Tell Mrs Davies it was delicious, but my...
我的胃还不太好
My stomach's still not quite what it... it should be.
请原谅
Forgive me.
-我们可以去钓鱼吗 -可以去采醋栗吗
- Can we go fishing? - Can we pick gooseberries?
1858年10月17号♥
October 17th, 1858.
熬过了一夜胃依然很难受
Passed a poor night. Stomach still wretched.
右手有点抖
Noticed a slight tremor in right hand.
可能要加10%的鸦♥片♥量了
Consider increasing laudanum by ten per cent, perhaps. 我们要牺牲那两只翻头鸽了
We'll sacrifice the two tumblers.
我想用它们的骨架做标本
I want to skeletonise them.
好的
Yes, sir.
选育显然有用
Selective breeding is undoubtedly working.
已经可以在翅膀结构上看见明显的变化
Already seeing real changes in wing structure.
我确定所有不同种类的鸽子
I'm convinced that all fancy breeds,
凸胸鸽信鸽翻头鸽等等
pouter, carrier, tumbler et cetera,
都是从野鸽进化而来
Derive from the common rock pigeon.
自然界里适者生存人类社会要靠外表
Nature selects for survival, man for appearance.
必须改进制♥作♥骨架的方法
Must improve skeletonising methods.
或许可以考虑王水生石灰
Consider aqua regia, quicklime, perhaps.
还得过几个小时先生
They'll need a few more hours, those, sir.
乔治阁下弗兰齐阁下
Master George! Master Franky!
埃蒂夫人和莱尼阁下身体还好吧先生
Lady Etty and Master Lenny. How are you, sir?
-先生 -谢谢
- Sir? - Thank you.
还需要帮忙吗先生
Anything else, sir?
不用你忙你的吧我自己来
No, no, no, you... carry on. I'll clean myself up.
只有你娶他最肥的女儿
Is it true that he only let
他才会让你离开这事是真的吗
you go if you married his fattest daughter?
乔治当然喽但别告诉我妻子
Absolutely true, George, but don't you dare tell my wife.
-亲爱的约瑟夫 -亲爱的艾玛
- Dear Joseph. - Dearest Emma.
抱歉很唐突
Ah. Yes. Forgive the short notice.
-认识托马斯·赫胥黎吗 -略有耳闻
- You know Thomas Huxley? - Only by reputation.
-他坚持要来我不能拒绝 -撒谎
- He insisted on coming, I could not refuse him. - It's a lie.
我有疑问想请教你尊贵低调的丈夫
I have a question for your esteemed, reclusive husband
但是我不相信胡克会帮我问
And I didn't trust Hooker to ask it for me.
明白了孩子们告诉爸爸客人来了
I see. Children, tell papa his visitors are here.
-他知道了 -他躲起来了
- He already knows. - He's hiding.
请进
Do come in, please.
我们来玩"轻骑队冲锋"吧
Can we play charge of the light brigade?
你一定精疲力尽了喝茶吗
You must be exhausted. Will you take tea?
胡克老伙计赫胥黎也来了快进来
Hooker! My dear fellow! And Huxley. Do come in. Come in.
冲啊孩子们我们进去
Lead the charge, boys. And away we go.
我们正在重组林奈学会
We're re-forming the Linnean society.
委员会包括我
The committee will comprise of myself,
莱尔胡克如果你愿意的话加上你
Lyell, Hooker, yourself, of course, if you're game for it.
现在胡克和我终于有了点影响力
Now that Hooker and I finally have a bit of clout,
我们可以从重申科学是一种职业开始
We can start to reclaim science as a profession.
和乡村牧师甲虫收藏家区分开
Wrest it away from the country parsons and beetle collectors. 他们中有些是我的朋友
Some of whom are friends of mine.
你的书将会成为我们的着力点
Your book will be our rallying point.
不会没有书
No, it won't. There is no book.
都是断简残篇
There are fragments,
不适合出版
and they're not in any fit state to publish.
废话我看过你的摘要
Nonsense I've read your detail abstract
论据十分有力
and the argument is hugely powerful.
清楚地证实了几百万年来
Clear evidence of transformation over millions of years
一只自♥由♥游泳的虾到卡在岩石里的贝类的演化From a free-swimming prawn to a shellfish stuck on a rock.
正是我要说的我不能肯定
That's my point. You can't be sure of that,
我需要更多时间
and that's why I need more time.
-达尔文先生 -什么
- Mr Darwin, sir? - Yes?
你要么是虚伪
Either you are being disingenuous
要么就没有完全明白你自己的理论
or you do not fully understand your own theory.
很明显对藤壶适用的
Evidently, what is true of the
对所有生物都适用包括人
barnacle is true of all creatures, even humans.
上帝再也不能宣称他在
The Almighty can no longer claim
一周内创造了所有生物
to have authored every species in under a week.
你抹杀了上帝先生
You've killed god, sir.
你抹杀了上帝
You have killed god.
或者换种说法
Or to put it another way...
终于摆脱了那些爱报复的老基佬
And I say good riddance to the vindictive old bugger!
-查尔斯 -没事我没事
- Charles? Charles? - Oh, no, I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.
-托马斯别这样 -我很明白
- Thomas, please. - Yes, I quite understand.
该是你写书的时候了
It is time to write your book.
给他们迅速而有力的最后一击
Strike hard and fast with a blow that is utterly conclusive.
这个先生你
Really, sir, you...
你讲的好像我们在打仗一样
You talk as if we're at war.
对科学正和宗教作战等我们赢了
Yes. Science is at war with religion, and when we win,
就可以摆脱那些该死的大主教了
We'll finally be rid of those damned archbishops
和他们所谓永恒惩罚的威胁
And their threats of eternal punishment.
不赫胥黎我们
No, Mr Huxley, we...
我们生活在社会中
We live in a society and
社会通过教堂紧密地联♥系♥在一起
it is a society bound together by the church.
虽是一叶轻舟
An improbable sort of barque,
但我告诉你它至少还浮在水面上
I grant you, but at least it floats.
它没有沉而你呢
It floats. And you would what?
你想让我们重新造船一点一点的
You would have us all rebuild, plank by plank,
拆掉我们正在航行的船重新造
The very vessel in which we sail?
别这样查尔斯
Oh, come, come, Charles! Did...
上帝的规则让你的火地岛人改变了吗
Did god's laws change your fuegians?
猩猩珍妮的行为不像人类吗
Was Jenny the ape any less personable for not being a person? 我们的行为就像我们的身体一样
Our behaviour, like our physical forms,
根据需求进化
Evolves according to our needs.
你自己说的先生
Your very own words, sir!
因此有一天
And thus, in time, we
我们不需要的部分就会退化
lose those parts that are no longer required.
就像阑尾男性乳♥头♥ 最后感谢基♥督♥ Like the appendix, the male nipple, and finally, thank Christ
还包括对上帝的无谓信仰
Our belief in an utterly redundant almighty!
胡克先生
Mr Hooker?
我求求你别逼他了
I... implore you, please do not push him.
没人可以逼查尔斯你知道他有多坚定
No one can push Charles. You know how fixed he is.
-他自己也像只藤壶 -对
- Bit of a barnacle himself, really. - yes.
如果你把他从岩石上撬下来他会死的
And if you prise him from his rock, he will die.
快点胡克天快黑了
Come on, Hooker. It'll be dark soon.
她对你说什么了
So, what did she say to you?
她说这简直要了他的命
She said it was killing him.
对啊他花在这上面的时间太久了
Yes. Mighty slow death considering
自然会引起慢性死亡
the length of time he's sat on this stuff.
如果他再久一点
We shall all be dead and
我们都会自掘坟墓
buried ourselves if he takes much longer.
对自从他女儿死了之后
Yes, since his girl died,
不得不承认他像变了一个人
One has to admit... he's not the man he was.
你什么时候才能不弄这些发臭的藤壶了呢
When are you going to be done with those stinky old barnacles? 我正在追踪三千万年来
Well, I've been chasing this little crustacean
这种甲壳纲动物的全部进化过程
in all of its evolutionary forms over 30 million years.
8年的时间
Now, eight years doesn't
也不够做这些的是吧
seem a very long time to achieve that, does it?
"推迟"是什么意思
What does "Procrastinating" Mean?
安妮我想你非常清楚
Oh, I think you know very well what it means, Annie.
意思是延后为什么问这个
It means putting things off. Why?
这是胡克先生认为你在做的
That's what Mr Hooker thinks you're doing.
真的吗
Does he indeed?
是因为妈妈还是那个盒子里的东西
Is it because of mama or what's in that box?
都是
Both.
我应该把这些都烧了
I should probably just burn the lot.
不行我在里面
You can't. I'm in it.
别搞笑了你当然不在里面
Don't be absurd! Of course you're not in it.
你什么意思
What do you mean?
我还是婴儿的时候你说的
When I was a baby, you said.
-哦对 -婴儿的自然史
- Oh, that. - The natural history of babies.
对对
Yes, that's right.
看我的手指
Look at my finger.
你太健康了太健康了
Oh, you're so strong! You're so strong!
这里安妮
Here. Annie.
我认为这对她睡眠没有用处
I think that will not help her sleep.
我想你是对的
I'm sure you're probably right.
那是谁
Who's that?
那是谁是你吗
Who is that? Is that you?
宝贝我错了
Oh, sweetheart. Oh, I'm so sorry.
你老爸太坏了
Oh, what a mean old papa you have.
宝贝
Oh, sweetheart!
你老爸太坏了
Oh, what a mean old papa you have!
你老爸太坏了
What a mean old...
你老爸太坏了
What a mean old man you have!
我错了我错了
Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.
第六周开始咯咯笑
"Six weeks: gurgles."
试着吮吸能紧抓我的手指
"Tries to suck. Holds tight to my finger."
离乳♥房♥♥三到四英寸时能感觉到"Perceives bosom when three or four inches from it."
我应该加上她有音乐细胞
I should add that she's musical.
我希望你别把我们
I hope you do not plan to treat
所有的孩子当成你实验中的
all our children as specimens of the ape genus
猿属标本
To be included in your experiments.
所有的孩子意思是你还想要更多
All of our children? You mean you want more?
抱歉假设罢了
Oh, sorry. I assumed.
如果你不想的话
No, if the idea doesn't appeal,
我们就不会有了
then we won't have any more children.
亲爱的我想要一个军队的孩子
Darling, I have plans to breed an entire army of them.
看看这叫华尔兹
Look at that. That's called the waltz.
小心别跑太远
Careful, now! Not too far ahead.
-有用点吧胡克 -别踩到水了
- Make yourself useful, Hooker. - Stay away from that water!
好的布罗蒂我得看着他们孩子们
Fear not, Brodie, I have them in my sights. Children!
现在你们中哪个
Now, which of the four of you
想第一个学会挂饵
Would be the first who would like to learn how to hook a worm? 我我
Me! Me!
领头的高地人向前踏了一步在风中
"A little further on, the leading highlander snuffed the wind
像一只凶悍的猎犬一样抽动着鼻子
Like a setting spaniel,
然后发出信♥号♥♥叫他的同伴休息
And then made a signal to his party again to halt."
他四肢着地蹲下来裹着他的长披肩
"He stooped down upon all fours, wrapped up in his plaid..."
-妈妈看我找到了什么 -看看
- Look what I found, mama. - Look at that.
我应该喂它什么呢
What shall I feed it?
问问尊敬的英尼斯先生吧
Let's ask reverend Innes.
呃
Oh, erm...
我觉得树叶吧
A leaf, I should think.
这是墓地甲虫是吧查尔斯
Necrophorus humator, isn't he, Charles?
真是个不错的标本
Rather a splendid specimen.
对啊它是食肉的
Yes, he is. He's a... carnivore.
它吃腐肉和昆虫
He eats carrion and insects.
兄弟们我们需要腐肉和昆虫
Boys! We need carrion and insects!
看这里有只蠕虫这有只蠕虫
Look, here's a worm, here's a worm.
-是只地蜈蚣打扁它 -不别杀它
- An earwig! Squish it! - No, don't kill it.
我了解那个表情
I know that expression.
他在梦想那些不再受
He's dreaming of his glory days
妻子和家庭羁绊的美好日子
When he was unencumbered with wife and family.
自♥由♥地行走于整个星球
Free to wander the planet.
实际上我是我是在回想
Actually, I was... I was remembering how the tropical seas 漂满生命微粒的热带海洋
teemed with living particles
似乎将小猎犬号♥环绕在光圈中
that seemed to surround the Beagle with a luminous glow 为它在夜里留下一条闪光的道路
And leave a glistening pathway through the night.
令人迷惑
Puzzling.
如此美丽却只有如此少的用处
So much beauty for so little purpose.
如此少的用处
So little purpose?
它们帮忙照亮了船行驶的道路
They were helping to light the ship's way.
说得好就是这样
Well said. Exactly.
约翰你熟悉托马斯·马尔萨斯的作品吗
John, are you familiar with the works of Thomas Malthus?
-他和他的堂亲结了婚 -我也是
- He married his first cousin. - So did I.
-是的但我不是那个意思 -当然不是
- Yes, but I wasn't suggesting that - Of course you weren't. 不管怎样托马斯·马尔萨斯计算出
Anyway, Thomas Malthus calculated that if,
如果每一条鲑鱼
Well, if every trout,
比如说有一百个左右的后代
Say, had a hundred or so offspring
它的后代也如此
And so on and so forth throughout the generations,
几十年内我们就会没在齐膝深的鲑鱼里
We'd be knee-deep in trout in just a few decades.
你对此作何反应
How would you respond to that?
我的回应是
I'd respond by saying
它们大多数的卵被破坏了或者被吃了
That most of the eggs are destroyed or eaten
所以数量保持稳定
So that the numbers remain stable.
那正是主完美的计划
That's the beauty of God's plan.
你没意识到这计划多么浪费
It doesn't strike you as a wasteful plan,
无数生命被创造出来
These myriad lives created
只是为了被瞬间毁灭
Only to be immediately extinguished?
它们为其他的卵提供食物
They provide food for others.
吃奶酪和黄瓜吗
Cheese and cucumber?
上千条死掉只为了让几条活下来
Thousands die so that only a few may live.
这不是把全部的幸福建立在
Is not the sum total of
部分的巨大亏损之上吗
Happiness in some sort of massive deficit?
查尔斯如此去推测主的心意
Charles, it is really not
的确不是我的职责所在
My duty to speculate on the mind of God,
但我看来自然确实一片和平
But it does seem to me that nature is at peace.
还有另一种视角
There is another view.
自然是战场
That all of nature is a battlefield.
不记得我在哪读到过这个
Remind me where I read that.
-非常好 -好的我能继续吗
- This is very good. - Good. Shall I continue?
请继续
Hmm, please do.
很快他回来了
"In a short time, he returned,
遣散了他所有的侍从只留下一个
And dismissed his attendants, excepting one,
并暗示韦弗利
And intimating to Waverley
他必须效仿他谨慎的道路
That he must imitate his cautious way..."
克里斯蒂安想现在我该做什么
"'Now,' thought Christian, 'what shall I do?"'
时不时地火焰
"And ever and anon the flame
和烟雾会大量涌出来
and smoke would come out in such abundance
带着火星和令人厌恶的噪音
With sparks and hideous noises
克里斯蒂安被迫放下手中的剑
That Christian was forced to put up his sword
专心于另一种叫祈祷的武器
And betake himself to another weapon called all prayer." 就读到这儿吧
Let us stop there.
爸爸不来跟我们说晚安吗
Is papa not coming to kiss us goodnight?
他工作得有点不舒服可能明天吧
He is a little unwell from working. Maybe tomorrow.
你昨晚就这么说
You said that last night.
我觉得安妮死后他就不爱我们了
I think when Annie died, he stopped loving us.
不埃蒂
No, Etty.
他只是有点累而且有点忙
He's just a little bit tired and a little bit busy.
晚安亲爱的
Goodnight, darling.
你在做什么安妮
What are you doing, Annie?
我在让你变漂亮
I'm making you beautiful.
但我需要思考
But I need to think.
是什么让你如此害怕
What are you so scared of?
-只是一个理论 -不他们是对的
- It's only a theory. - No, they're right.
那将改变一切
It changes everything.
设想一下整个世界不再相信
Suppose the whole world stopped believing
上帝对我们有何安排
That God had any sort of plan for us.
一切都无所谓没有爱没有信任
That nothing mattered. Not love, not trust.
没有信仰没有荣誉
Not faith, not honour.
只有残忍♥才能存活
Only brute survival.
撇开其他事情不说这会使妈妈心碎的
Apart from anything else, it would break your mother's heart. 心不会碎真蠢你跟我说过的
Hearts can't break, silly. You told me that.
吸气爸爸呼气
Breathe in, papa. Breathe out.
-给我讲个故事 -好的讲什么
- Tell me a story. - Alright. What about?
关于珍妮的
About Jenny.
-已经很晚了我没有时间了 -拜托了
- It's late. I have no time. - Please?
为什么是珍妮那太悲伤了
Why Jenny? It's so sad.
我喜欢悲伤的故事
I like sad stories.
很久很久以前
Once upon a time,
有红毛猩猩一家
There was a family of orang-utans
住在婆罗洲丛林的最深处
Living in the deepest jungles of Borneo.
它们的大女儿是所有猩猩中最可爱
Their eldest daughter was the most loving, the most caring, 最有爱心也是最值得信任的
And the most trusting orang of all.
而且她也是最最
But she was also the most...
聪明的
Intelligent.
我想说是最爱钻研的
Well, I was going to say inquisitive.
我是不是没有提到她不总是
Did I neglect to mention she was not always
最顺从听话的生物
The most obedient of creatures?
当她感受到危险时已经太晚了
By the time she realised her danger, it was too late.
他们将她装在袋子里把她带走了
They put her in a bag and they carried her off...
她的亲人如此绝望
Much to her loving parents' despair.
很遗憾她的亲人如此绝望这是当然的
So sorry. Much to her loving parents' despairical,of course. 之后迪亚克人
And the Dayaks
将她关在一个笼子里
Bundled her into a cage
沿河出发打算卖♥♥掉她
And set off to sell her down the river.
他们将她卖♥♥给一个商人
They sold her to a trader for
换了三便士三法新
Threepence, three farthings,
之后将她放在一个更大的
And he put her in a bigger
笼子里卖♥♥到伦敦动物园卖♥♥了三百基尼Cage and sold her to London Zoo for 300 guineas.
她是人们在英格兰
She was the first orang-utan
见到的第一只猩猩
That anyone had ever seen in England.
人们都凝视着珍妮珍妮也凝视着他们
Everyone peered at Jenny, and Jenny peered back,
她对这些陌生的物种感到好奇
And she marvelled at what strange creatures they all were.
动物园的管理者们他们给她洗澡
The curators of the zoo, they... they cleaned her up...
使她在文明社会中也能体面见人
...made her presentable for polite society.
我第一次见到她的时候...
Which was when I was first introduced to her.
那是什么珍妮
What is that, Jenny?
拜托
Oh, come on.
太棒了
Bravo!
最后还是要说再见了
When eventually it came time to say goodbye,
她变得非常沮丧拒绝和我握手
She grew quite downcast and refused to shake my hand.
终于在我许下承诺后
Finally, she took it,
她和我握了手
But only after I'd made her a promise
那承诺我永远无法兑现
I was never able to keep:
我说我会再来看她
That I would visit her again
很快
Very soon.
继续讲讲关于
Go on. Tell me about the bit
她如何生病然后死了的事
Where she gets sick and dies.
你为什么会想听那个
Why do you want to hear that bit?
我喜欢那让我想哭
I like it. It makes me cry.
赫胥黎认为我应当
Huxley is of the opinion that
写下来把它完成
I should write and be done with it.
他说这是关于道义勇气的问题或者
Says it's a question of moral courage, or of... 更该说是我缺少道义勇气
Or rather my lack of it.
你跟他说你的健康问题了吗
Did you tell him about your health?
他的理论是我因畏缩不前
His theory is that
使自己生病
I'm making myself ill by holding back,
就是说我该冲破一切
And... that I should lance the boil, so to speak. 感谢上帝他不再是外科医生了
Thank the Lord he's no longer a surgeon.
我认为他是对的
I have concluded that he's right.
像是咬紧牙关速度至上
You know, bite the gag. Speed is everything. 大约几个月就好了
It will all be over in a matter of months.
不只是几个月
It is not mere months...
也不是几年或者几十年的问题
...Nor even years nor decades
让我担心查尔斯
That concern me, Charles.
你是否真的
Do you really care...
不在乎你不灭的灵魂
...So little for your immortal soul?
查尔斯你是否毫不在乎
Charles... do you not care
你可能永远不会通过天堂之门
That you may never pass through the gates of heaven 你我将被永世分隔两地
And that you and I may be separated for all eternity? 我当然在乎当然在乎
Well, of course I care. Of course I do.
你认为这些年是什么
What do you think has
让我处于地狱边境
Kept me in limbo all these years?
我是只无性的蜜蜂
I am a neuter bee.
我是个科学家因为害怕更清楚地看到
I'm a scientist, and I dare not study
那些于我已经稀松平常的东西
For the fear of seeing more
我不敢研究
Clearly what is already as plain as day to me.
你认为那还不够折磨吗
Do you not think that's torture enough?
我认为你在与主战斗查尔斯
I think you are at war with God, Charles.
我们都知道这场战争你不可能胜利
We both know it is a battle you cannot win.
-把球给我 -不你作弊
- Give me the ball! - No, you cheated!
-诅咒你女人 -你作弊
- Curse you, woman! - You cheated!
埃蒂
Etty!
埃蒂埃蒂埃蒂
Etty, Etty, Etty!
你没结过婚吗布罗蒂
Were you never married, Brodie?
我吗没有
Myself? No.
他去了澳大利亚我错过了机会
He went off to Australia. I missed my chance.
我永远不会结婚
I shall never marry.
我知道男人怎么让你生孩子
I know how men give you babies.
我由衷地希望你不知道安妮·达尔文
I sincerely hope you do not, Annie Darwin!
大家往后退看着岩石
Everybody step back and look at the rock.
如果你看着它好好看着它
If you look at it, really look at it,
它可以带我们穿越时间回到过去
It can take us back through time.
看这些灰色的泥层
See these greyish, muddy layers?
他们被静谧而温柔的河流带到此处
They were brought here by quiet, patient, gentle rivers, 然而这些戏剧性的沙岩沉积
Whereas these dramatic sandstone deposits
告诉我们那些强烈风暴
Are telling us of huge storms,
那些百万年前的强烈风暴
Storms that came through here millions of years ago
当萨拉姨妈只是个小女孩
When aunt Sarah was just a little girl
村庄里是一片充满恐龙的湿地
And down village was a swamp full of dinosaurs.
-恐龙是什么 -类似于蜥蜴
- What's a dinosaur? - It's a lizard...
欧文教授发明了它们
Professor Owen invented them.
他并不是发明了它们
He didn't exactly invent them.
-它们不是真的 -是他们是真的
- They weren't real! - Yes, they were.
穿上点衣服你会感冒的
Put some clothes on! You're going blue.
看我发现了什么带刺的星星鱼别告诉我
Look what I found! Spiny starfish! Don't tell me.
海里星没错吧
Marthasterias Gacialis, look!
是叫海星
Glacialis.
我是火地人
I am fuegian!
我在做奶油蛋羹
I'm making custard!
他跟我说过的
He did, he told me!
这对其他孩子不公平
It is not fair to the other children,
对安妮也不公平
Nor to Annie herself,
她的大脑填满了这些观念
That her head be filled with these ideas.
但爸爸说过的
But daddy said!
我希望你处理这些问题
I will leave you to deal with this.
-他跟我说过的 -嘘
- He did, he told me! - Hush.
再见安妮
Goodbye, Annie.
出什么事了
What happened?
没事
Nothing.
你的膝盖你的膝盖怎么了
Your knees. What happened to your knees? 英尼斯神父和她争吵起来
Reverend Innes had have words with her. 她膝盖怎么了
What happened to her knees?
英尼斯神父把我带到
Reverend Innes sent me to
一个角落让我跪在岩盐上
The corner and made me kneel on rock salt. -为什么 -我说有恐龙
- Why? - I said there were dinosaurs,
他说没有恐龙这种东西
And he said there weren't.
但是有你发现了它们。